Here is a quick view of what I did to get it restored
Here are a couple shots of the headstock after electrolysis and a quick hit with the 4 inch angle grinder with a wire wheel attached. I tried filling the holes with cheap roller sponges I picked up from HF, thought I would be able to re-use them…Not!
Then I primer it up..
And put it back together.
Then the way tubes. The one in front is before and the one on the shopsmith is the almost complete job. After loosening it up with electrolysis, I start with 150 grit and work down to steel wool and then a coat of Johnson’s Wax.
Here is a shot of the completed Shop Smith